10.31.2005

A difficult Day

After we got back from Maine last night, I felt yucky and I had a hard time sleeping. This morning, I felt like hell, but I trooped off to school anyway. Jim (my office mate) had asked me to give a lunchtime talk about my bat tracker, and I had forgotten about it until about ten minutes before bedtime. When I got to my office, Jim was sleeping on the couch, so I couldn't nap. So, bleary-eyed, I sat upright and worked on the presentation for the talk. The talk went okay. I forgot my VGA dongle (to make the picture from my screen go on the projector) and so we had to do some interesting maneuvering to make a picture happen.

During class, I was totally falling asleep. The past two weeks, I've felt like I've pretty much understood what was going on. At least, I understood all of the individual words. Something about information and entropy and communication channels and radio and television. You know, for such a "simple" device, telephones, radios and TVs are damn complicated. Well anyway, I roughly understood what was going on. I think.

After class, I was going to work in the conference room, but my advisor was in there with his freshmen. I tried to nap on the couch, but didn't get far. Jim and I are being kicked out of our lovely, spacious, 3-person office, and into a much smaller, 2-person office. I do not think the couch is going to fit in the new office, but Jim said that the couch is more important to him than his desk. Anyway, Jacky came by to give me a key.

We talked about what I should try to do, with respect to job-getting. She thinks that I should go for the start-up. She says that now is the best time in my life to do it, when I am young, the salary differential is low, I don't have too many committments. Mike gave me the green light to roll the dice with the start-up -- make less money and be less reliably employed than him, but take a risk that the company booms. At BAE , I'd be working for a unit that was just bought. She thinks this is a bad power structure to be involved with, and she is skeptical about consulting companies. We'll see.

Anyway, after I was done talking to Jacky, I tried to rest for a little bit, but I was restless. I went back to the conference room, and advisor-Mike and his freshmen were gone so I settled down for some bug-hunting. I have a good idea about the class of the problem, but I cannot find the site of the problem for my life. This silly bug has de-railed me something fierce. But, my demo is crashing, and it needs to be reliable. Jim's old demo would run for days on end. Mine won't run for more than a couple of hours. It was running at the lab when I left. If it is still running now, I would be quite happy.

I felt crummy, so I skipped the gym. I still don't feel great. I just feel wiped out. Mike has had some difficulty with his registration, and was quite flustered. So he was upset and I feel crummy. I will probably play hookey from school tomorrow. Clean the house, find my cell phone. Work on my thesis proposal.

*EOF*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home