10.29.2005

Hello World! (2)

So now, I feel like I need to introduce myself.
Most pressing on my mind at the moment is finding a job and doing my thesis.

What will your thesis be about, Diane? you ask.

This is what I have been telling sponsors about my work for the past two weeks:
This is the Smart Architectural Surfaces Project. We are working on creating responsive, context-aware spaces using modular units. We are trying to find ways for users to address the system as a whole, without cognizance of the individual pieces of the system. Here, we have created a system where the units respond to a brightly colored object, like this ball *shows red ball to sponsor* to either create a drawing *demo # 1* or to control the view of a model *demo # 2* (Will post pictures of demos later).

"We" is the Object-Based Media group at the Media Lab, of which I am a part. So, basically, what I am trying to do is put cool applications on the wall. The wall being composed of a bunch of computers, which all have sensors, so that they can respond to you. And they all have wireless cards so they can talk to each other about what they see.

Making these guys play nice together will be the subject of my thesis.

Now, about this finding a job business. My job search began at the MIT Job Fair on Sept 22. I think it is safe to say that I have been quite successful. I have had all KINDS of interviews. Many at the MIT career office. I flew out to California for an interview with Yahoo!. I had an invitation to an onsite interview from Google (pending). My hit ratio (on the MIT job site) of resumes submitted / interviews received is something lik 80%.

Right now, I have three companies on the short list: Tessella, BAE Systems, and Brontes 3D. Tessella is a scientific and engineering consulting company based in England. BAE is a military contractor. Brontes3D is a startup with a 3D imaging technology for medical use. I had preliminary interviews with Brontes and BAE systems last week, which went well. I have a preliminary interview with Tessella and an onsite interview with Brontes3D next week. (Excited! I'm so popular!)

Right now, I am at Mike's parents' house. His sister has a blog with cute pictures of his neice, and I was jealous and I wanted to join the party. I have been tip-tapping away for the past couple hours, and now *I* have a blog!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home